On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 10:56 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info>
wrote:

> Actually, as you admitted, you can't, since this isn't part of
> the proposed syntax or semantics. But let's put that aside.

> Except of course you can:
>
> > >     (expression(f_x, y, z) for x in xs
> > >          for y in ys(x)
> > >          for z in zs(y)
> > >          if (f_x := f(x)) or True)
> > >          )
>
> [Neil]
> > My thought is that if each component is simple enough *and* if each
> > component can be reasoned about independently of the others, then it's
> > fine.  The issue I had with the := code you presented was that it was
> > impossible to reason about the components independently from the whole.
>
> I said it was rubbish code which I wouldn't use for serious work. But
> "impossible" to reason about? That's pretty strong, and definite, words
> for something which is actually pretty easy to reason about.

I was talking about this snippet you wrote:

smooth_signal = [(average := (1-decay)*average + decay*x) for x in signal]

Not impossible to reason about, but not pretty either.

>     (expression(f_x, y, z) for x in xs
>          for y in ys(x)
>          for z in zs(y)
>          if (f_x := f(x)) or True)
>          )

Not that it matters, but this doesn't work in general since this relies on
f_x being evaluable to bool.  You can always just write "for f_x in
[f(x)]".  This use of given was more of an aside.