On 29/05/2018 23:58, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Have we received complaints about other cases? Whenever thisĀ  breaks
> code for which I am responsible I just blush and fix it, I don't
> complain. Repeating the same warning typically just causes warning
> fatigue rather than helping anyone.

Maybe what we need is to add a, possibly optional, or suppressible,
warning whenever the import system encounters an implicit/indirect
import? If an import that is working because the package we are
importing it from has imported it from elsewhere, but it is not included
in the __init__ for that package, then code authors will get some
warning before the breakage and any blushes will really be due. If I was
getting something along the lines of:

Warning: Implicit Import in MyCode.py line 16 - import of os.errno is
unsupported and may stop working on any update consider direct import.

Then I would try to address it at the current version. I would be happy
to try to implement this and think that the performance impact should be
low.

--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.