> Whoops, it turns out Euler's formula does work! I expected imprecision,
> but at least one test matched.
>
> x = 42
> cos(x) + 1j * sin(x) == e ** (1j * x)

I think you will find it holds for any x (except inf, -inf and nan).
The boat is less leaky than you think; IEEE floating-point arithmetic goes
out of its way to produce exact answers whenever possible.
(To great consternation of hardware designers who felt that
requiring 1.0*x == x was too expensive.)

> I suppose that's because it's radians.

Well, the formula obviously only holds in exact arithmetic
if cos and sin are the versions taking radians.

Stephan