On 21 Jun 2018, at 09:17, Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

Ronald Oussoren writes:

Possibly just for the “cp…” encodings, but IMHO only if we confirm
that the code to look for the preferred encoding returns a codepage
number on Windows and changing that code leads to worse results
than adding numeric aliases for the “cp…” encodings.

Almost all of the CPxxx encodings have multiple aliases[1], so I just
don't see the point unless numeric-only code page designations are
baked in to default "locales"[2] in official releases by major OS
vendors.  And probably not even then, since it should be easy enough
to provide a proper "locale" and/or PYTHONIOENCODING setting.

The user shouldn’t have to do anything other than install Python. IMHO
were doing something wrong when the python interpreter doesn’t start up
with a default system configuration (when the user explicitly sets a bogus
PYTHONIOENCODING or locale all bets are off, although even then
warning about and then ignoring bad settings would be more userfriendly
than the current behavior)

Of course we should help the reporter figure out what's going on and
help them fix it with appropriate system configuration.  If that
doesn't work, then (and *only then*) we could think about doing a
stupid thing.

The issue is making slow progress. I’m not Windows users myself and
therefore cannot easily experiment with what’s going on (other than by
reading the code).

Ronald