https://schema.org/CreativeWork
  https://schema.org/Code
  https://schema.org/SoftwareApplication

CreativeWork has a https://schema.org/citation field with a range of
{CreativeWork, Text}

There's also a https://schema.org/funder attribute with a domain of
CreativeWork and a range of {Organization, Person}

- BibTeX is actually somewhat ill-specified, TBH.
- There is a repository of CSL styles at https://citationstyles.org .
- CSL is sponsored by both Zotero and Mendeley.
- A number of search engines support schema.org (and JSONLD)
- The schema.org RDFS vocabulary is designed to describe a graph of
resources (CreativeWork, Code, SoftwareApplication, ScholarlyArticle,
MedicalScholarlyArticle).

__citation__ = [{}, ]
__citation__ = {
  '@type': ['schema:ScholarlyArticle'],
  'schema:name': '',
  'schema:author': [{
      '@type': 'schema:Person',
      '...': '...'}]
}

JSONLD is ideal for describing a graph of resources with varied types.

If the overhead of __citation__ for every import is unjustified,
a lookup of methods with dotted names that finds entries for root modules
as well would be great:

>>> citations('json.loads')
>>> citations('list.sort')

A tracing debugger could lookup each and every package, module, function,
and method each ScholarlyArticle SoftwareApplication executes (from a
registry in e.g. a _citations_.py or a _citations_.jsonld.json).

It'd be a shame to need to manually format citations for a particular
Journal's CSL bibliographic  metadata template preference.

sphinxcontrib-bibtex is a Sphinx extension for BibTeX support (with a
bibliography directive and a cite role)
- Src: https://github.com/mcmtroffaes/sphinxcontrib-bibtex

Jupyter notebooks support document-level metadata (in JSON that's currently
only similar to schema.org JSONLD).

https://schema.org/ScholarlyArticle is search engine indexable.