On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 01:36:55PM +0200, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
> On 2018-07-13 11:50, Jacco van Dorp wrote:
> >At the very least, use is_likely_prime() as function name.
>
> I agree with you here: the function name should reflect what it actually
> does.

What it *actually* does is:

is_almost_certainly_prime_except_for_a_ludicrously_microscopic_chance_of_error_thousands_of_times_less_likely_than_a_stray_cosmic_ray_flipping_a_bit_in_memory_and_causing_the_wrong_result_to_be_returned()

*At most*, I would agree that the isprime() function could raise a
"Probably Prime" warning when necessary, with the warning disabled by
default. Those that care about this sort of thing can enable warnings,
those that don't shouldn't have to read scary warnings that have no
practical meaning.

If your bank is satisfied with "mere probable prime number" to transfer
billions of dollars around the world, then I'm sure that the users of
Python's std library should be too.