On 7/20/2018 12:21 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 5:45 PM, Al Sweigart <asweig...@gmail.com> wrote:
The goal of this idea is to make it easier to find out when someone has
installed packages for the wrong python installation. I'm coming across
quite a few StackOverflow posts and emails where beginners are using pip to
install a package, but then finding they can't import it because they have
multiple python installations and used the wrong pip.

So have I. The solution is to run pip the way the core developers recommend, which is to explicitly run the version of python you want pip to install to. On Windows,

py -x.y -m pip install somemod

I have given that answer on SO and just gave it on python-list, thereby solving the users 2.7 versus 3.7 problem.

This sounds like a great idea to me, but pip is developer separately
from python itself, and I don't think the pip maintainers monitor
python-ideas. I'd suggest filing a feature request on the pip tracker:

https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/new?template=feature-request.md

Definitely.

--
Terry Jan Reedy