On Fri, Jul 27, 2018, 1:23 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 06:50:20PM -0400, David Mertz wrote:
> > I often use doctests to verify APIs and behaviors when I update code. I
> > know I'm in a minority and most developers slightly disparage doctests.
>
> I don't know why you think that "most developers" disparage doctests.
> Perhaps they're the same ones who think that "read the source" is all the
> documentation anyone needs.

I'm not talking about folks saying not to use tests at all. I've just read
or heard a fair number of programmers say that doctests are not best
practice, and using unittest or nose or something similar is more
professional.

It was an offhand content not a scientific poll. I'm delighted that you
also use doctests, Steven. And if Timmy also does, I feel fully vindicated
:-).