On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 10:21 AM James Lu <jam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not personally with Brett, but I have seen multiple people try to stop the
> “reword or remove beautiful is better than ugly in Zen of Python.” The
> discussion was going in circles and evolved into attacking each other’s use
> of logical fallacies.
>
> Other than that, my biggest issues with the current mailing system are:
>
> * There’s no way to keep a updated proposal of your own- if you decide to
> change your proposal, you have to communicate the change. Then, if you want
> to find the authoritative current copy, since you might’ve forgotten or you
> want to join he current discussion, then you have to dig through  the emails
> and recursively apply the proposed change. It’s just easier if people can
> have one proposal they can edit themselves.

That's what the PEP system exists for. But with the "remove the word
ugly from the zen" proposal, it's not serious enough for anyone to
actually want to write up a PEP about it.

Normally, what happens is that the "authoritative current copy" can
always be found at https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-????/ for some
well-known PEP number. That PEP generally has a single authoritative
author (sometimes two or three, but always a small number). For any
proposal that actually has currency, this system does work (well
enough that I've wanted to introduce something like it in other
contexts).

ChrisA