On 20Sep2018 20:55, Mikhail V <mikhail...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 11:21 AM Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au> wrote:
On 20Sep2018 10:16, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:
>Let's just keep it on email -- I, at least, find i never participate in any
>other type of discussion forum regularly.

As do I. Email comes to me. Forums, leaving aside their ergonomic horrors
(subjective), require a visit.

So you are ok with 100 emails / day, like it happened when
inline assignment discussion erupted?

A drop in a bucket to me. Since I autofile my email, such messages all land in my python folder. Since my mail reader threads, 100 messages on a single topic are easy to follow, or easy to delete/archive/defer if that particular discussion is not of interest to me. And I was interested in the inline assignment discussion.

So yes, totally ok.

I think there are forum systems which allow you to post by email so
it is possible to get the same effect as with mailing list, if you really want.

The point by point response, such as this one, is hard in a forum, generally. Qualification: in my deliberately limited experience.

And few forums provide email mirroring/posting. Were I choosing the forum that would be an essential feature to me.

I think most people want the ability to choose what topic they want to
receive notification and its not possible.

It is perfectly possible. I get hundreds of message by email every day, and arrange notifications only for a tiny subset of those.

As for ergonomics - it depends on forum software and design. If I use some
site frequently and it has bad layout/colors/fonts, then I use Stylish plugin to
customize the CSS. Therefore I'd prefer forum with minimalistic CSS
to easily customize the look.

OTOH if the mailing software has bad ergonomics, I can't do much with that.

You can switch clients. With email, there are many clients. Most forums provide only one: a single web interface.

Or if people post a word and leave 5 pages quote below or messed up formatting -
I can't do anything with that.
On a good forum systems such things are less probable = less annoyance
in general.

I see 2 major problems:
1. The mentioned mass mail delivery
2. PEPs and discussion browsing is far from effective - I'd  like a better
way to browse PEPs - for example filtering by topics, eg. "syntax", "module X",
by their status, etc, and of course discoverable relevant discussion.

Systems used in Stackoverflow, Github already offer these features.
I personally would like Stackoverflow-like format for presenting PEPs
+ discussion
below, so everybody can easily browse PEPs and related info in one place.

Clearly these work well for you.

How well does that work offline? My laptop collects email continuously, and I visit the relevant folders on my own schedule. If that schedule is on a train with no internet, I'm fine. I can read. I can reply (the message will go out when I'm next online).

A forum providing a _good_ email mirroring/posting service might make us both happy.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>