On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 12:19 PM David Mertz <me...@gnosis.cx> wrote:

> Under a partial ordering, a median may not be unique.  Even under a total
> ordering this is true if some subset of elements form an equivalence
> class.  But under partial ordering, the non-uniqueness can get much weirder.

I'm sure with more thought, weirder things can be thought of.  But just as
a quick example, it would be easy to write classes such that:

    a < b < c < a

In such a case (or expand for an odd number of distinct things), it would
be reasonable to call ANY element of [a, b, c] a median. That's funny, but
it is not imprecise.