Email is based on open standards with multiple implementations, most of
them open source, that you can run basically wherever you want.
Reddit is a product from a company, with a privately controlled API, and
that may not even be here tomorrow, and it is not based on open standards.
What happens if Reddit goes bankrupt tomorrow?

And let's not forget that mailing lists have a small barrier to entry.
Moving this list to a forum would likely become an "eternal september" kind
of event.

Simple is good. Email is simple.

Em sex, 1 de fev de 2019 às 21:17, Abe Dillon <abedil...@gmail.com>
escreveu:

> [Chris Angelico]
>
>> With emails, you get your choice of tools. With web forum systems, you
>> get the forum host's choice of tools.
>

> There are many 3rd party tools for interacting with Reddit.
> It's all just data behind an API. There's no reason you couldn't have a
> choice of tools for a forum system.
> The biggest difference I see is that email APIs are more standardized.
> Maybe we should push for an open standard for forum-style communication.
>

> On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 5:03 PM Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 10:00 AM Abe Dillon <abedil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > [Steven D'Aprano]

>> > There's no reason a forum system couldn't accommodate sorting,
>> filtering, shuffling, slicing and dicing.
>> > It seems the only problem is the lack of tools.
>>
>> With emails, you get your choice of tools. With web forum systems, you
>> get the forum host's choice of tools.
>>
>> ChrisA

Marcos Eliziário Santos
mobile/whatsapp/telegram: +55(21) 9-8027-0156
skype: marcos.elizia...@gmail.com
linked-in : https://www.linkedin.com/in/eliziario/