On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 10:04 PM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 07:05:55PM +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
> [Ben]
> > > Other functions also conceptually have three ways of returning:
> > > ordinary return with a value, a documented special return like
> > > KeyError, and pass-through exceptions. If the pass-through exception
> > > is KeyError, it gets conflated with the documented exceptional return,
> > > but correct code should handle them differently. It doesn't matter
> > > whether the syntax for the documented special return is "return x" or
> > > "raise KeyError(x)".
> >
> > Not sure what you mean here. If the documented special return is
> > "return x", then it's a value that's being returned. That's completely
> > different from raising some sort of exception.
>
> I think I understand what Ben means, because I think I've experimented
> with functions which do what he may be getting at.
>
> Remember that exceptions are not necessarily errors. So you might write
> a function which returns a value in the standard case, but raises an
> exception to represent an exceptional case. If this is not an error,
> then the caller ought to be prepared for the exception and always catch
> it.

Yep, I understand that part (and mention KeyError specifically). What
I don't understand is the documented special return of "return x". If
there's a way to return a magic value, then it's still just a value.

For the rest, yeah, there's the normal Python behaviour of signalling
"nope" by raising a specific exception. And yes, leaking an exception
of the same type from within that function is going to be interpreted
as that "nope". That's important to the ability to refactor - you can
have a helper function that raises, and then the main __getitem__ or
__getattr__ or whatever will just propagate the exception. That's why
"leaking" is such a hard thing to pin down.

ChrisA