On 3/15/2019 11:21 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 11:54:51AM -0300, Andre Roberge wrote:
On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 11:42 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info>
wrote:

[snip]

I still remember being told in no uncertain terms by the core devs that
adding a clear() method to lists was a waste of time because there was
already a perfectly good way to spell it with slicing. And then ABCs
came along and now lists have a clear method. So opinions change too.

I agree with the opinions expressed in the (partially) quoted message
but I don't think that this is how this particular change happened.

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2009-April/003897.html

You proposed that in April 2009, but there was nothing added to the bug
tracker for 18 months until it was finally added by Terry Reedy in

Actually, I opened the tracker issue with a succinct message,
after the discussion and Guido's approval changed my mind.
https://bugs.python.org/issue10516
However, Eli Bendersky wrote the patch with help from others and then merged it.

November 2010, based on discussion in a completely different thread (one
about sets!):

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2010-November/008722.html

--
Terry Jan Reedy