On 2019-04-24 22:42, Guido van Rossum wrote:
Thanks for posting. I agree that Callable is ugly (even hideous :-), but when we introduced type annotations in PEP 484, we didn't want to introduce new syntax. The existing syntax (using -> in function headings) was supported since Python 3.0.

Since then we've introduced other new syntax (in particular PEP 526) so we could indeed try adding something better for Callable.

I think we should probably at least have parentheses around the arguments, so you'd write

f: (int) -> str
g: (int, str) -> float

That looks elegant.

But we should also try to support optional arguments and keyword arguments.

Also, some groups of people would like to see a more concise notation for lambdas, and maybe they'd want to write

x = (a, b) -> a + b

as sugar for

x = lambda a, b: a + b

We probably can't have both, so we should at least decide which is more important.

Too bad we can't use Unicode arrows. :-)

Some languages use ->; some others use =>.

As Python already uses -> for the return type, it could use => for lambdas.