On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 12:47 PM Jeroen Demeyer <j.deme...@ugent.be> wrote:

> I'd like to get rid of all the signal and HDL stuff (whatever that
> means) in this thread, so I think what the original poster really wants
> is an "assign in place" operator. Basically, something like += or *= but
> without the arithmetic.
>
> When you think of it this way, it's not an unreasonable request. There
> would be at least one major use of this operator within CPython, for
> lists. With this proposal, the awkward syntax (there are 219 instances
> of this in the CPython sources)
>
>    L[:] = new_list
>
> would become
>
>    L <== new_list

The part I liked it is, with <== basically all kinds of unnecessary
details has been hidden from users.

For example, L[:] if appeared at the right hand side, means a copy
(not a reference) of L, but now when appear on the left hand side, it
behaves like an in-place copy. This two isn't it mentally
contradicting each other?