On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 6:56 PM Rhodri James <rho...@kynesim.co.uk> wrote:

> I repeat, how does this work?  If you want atomicity across processes,
> you need some kind of lock at some level.

For the atomic operations the lock is on the hardware level (i.e.
implemented in the CPU, across the mem BUS, cache, etc.), from the user
perspective, it looks only like executing a particular (atomic) op-code. (
https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/506090).

Compared to the "Lock" which is an OS implementation (which possibly uses
the hardware atomic operations internally), but is far more heavy, because
it can block the thread. An atomic operation cannot.

Richard