On Dec 2, 2019, at 16:27, Soni L. <fakedme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Even use-cases where you have different objects whose differences are ignored
> for __eq__ and __hash__ and you want to grab the one from the set ignoring
> their differences would benefit from this.

A more concrete use case might help make the argument better.

My first thought was a function that needs the zero value for a set of (ints,
floats, polynomials, whatever) could just do elements[0], but how often does
that come up? (And how often can you trust that the type’s zero value is ==0,
but can’t trust that the nullary constructor returns a zero?)

I’m pretty sure I have run into a handful of more useful uses for this method
over the years, but I can’t remember any. Maybe something to do with Unicode
normalization?