On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 12:07, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> I'm sorry Juancarlo, it's not clear to me what *precisely* your proposal
> is. Are you asking for "findfirst" to be a builtin? A regex helper
> function? A method on regex objects? Something else?

My impression is that he was asking for a re.findfirst(...) function
to give a more discoverable name to the next(re.finditer((...)) idiom.

As a single example of defining a dedicated function to replace a
one-liner, I think it's marginal at best (although discoverability
*is* important here). But IMO it is true that using
next(some_iterator) to mean "get the first value returned" is
something that's needed relatively frequently, but often overlooked by
people. I'm not sure there's a good solution, though - adding an alias
first() for "next() when used to get the first element" is probably
overkill, and apart from dedicated syntax, it would be hard to find
something much shorter than next().

Maybe it's just an education issue, people aren't sufficiently
familiar with the idiom?
Paul