The argument that first(it) and next(it) "look the same" doesn't convince
me; if these look the same then all function applications look the same,
and that can certainly not have been Meertens' intention. But if everyone
thinks that first() should raise, fine, this thread is way too long already
(I should have kept it muted :-).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*