Barry writes:

 > Have a look at this write up about the horror that is zip file name
 > handling.

As I implied, I don't need to "read write-ups", *I live the horror.*
Not daily, but always when I really don't want to spend the minutes.

 > This has been a pain point at work.

I know your pain.  But this PEP is not about your work environment
(does it include Japanese bureaucrats? ;-/), it's about a file format
that we control.  (More specifically, Mr. Janhangeer does.)  The
question (in any normal case) is simply how does the system default
file name encoding interact with the PEP, and my guess is "if we take
a bit of care, it doesn't."