The colon remains syntactically necessary in some cases, particularly to
disambiguate cases involving one-lining (no block involved). Stupid
example: If the colon is optional, what does:

if d +d

mean? Is it a test of the value of d, followed by invoking the unary plus
operator as a one-liner (that is, was it "if d: +d")? Or is it testing d +
d, and opening a block on the next line ("if d + d:")?