On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 2:58 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> I don't know enough about the Python internals to give a definitive
> answer, but I'm assuming/hoping that there is a single, or at most a
> few, places in the interpreter that matches up arguments to formal
> parameters, and if there's a discrepency it currently raises TypeError.
> PyCall sounds promising :-)

In my experience, it's sprinkled all over the place.  For example, here are
the pertinent chunks of one of our functions that converts VAX floats to
IEEE...

static PyObject *vax_data_floats(PyObject *self, PyObject **args,
Py_ssize_t nargs)
{
    if (nargs != 2) {
        PyErr_Format(PyExc_TypeError, "floats: expected 2 arguments,
'bytes' and 'count'");
        return NULL;
    }
    if (!PyLong_Check(py_count)) {
        PyErr_Format(PyExc_TypeError, "floats: second argument must be an
int");
        return NULL;
    }
    if (count*(Py_ssize_t)sizeof(float) > bytes_size) {
        PyErr_Format(PyExc_TypeError,
                     "floats: argument 2 is larger than data (only %d bytes
for requested %d floats)",
                     bytes_size,
                     count);
        return NULL;