On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 01:11:46PM -0300, Soni L. wrote:

> we can't break setdefault (particularly for tuple keys), do you have a
> better idea?

Do nothing?

I don't have to suggest a better idea, since its not me proposing a
change. I don't think any change is needed. It is up to you to firstly
justify that a change is needed, and only then justify a specific
response to that need.

An anecdote... when I first discovered Python back in 1.5 days, and
specifically the dict.update method, practically the first thing I did
was wonder why update replaced existing keys. What if I wanted it to
keep the existing key, or raise an exception? So I immediately wrote a
pair of functions to do both those things.

It's been close to 20 years now and so long as I can remember, I have
never, not once, used either of those variants I don't even know
whether I even still have them (not that it would be hard to recreate
them).

If you personally would use them, I'm happy for you. But unless there is
likely to be either moderate or widespread use among the community, or
at least some uses in the stdlib, those functions belong in your own
personal toolbox, not the stdlib.

--
Steven