On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 1:35 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 12:01:55AM +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
> > Oh but Steven, Steven, Steven, how can you pass up an opportunity to
> > reignite the fires of "pass by value" and "pass by reference"? This is
> > CLEARLY the way to represent pass-by-reference where the reference is
> > to a mythical value...
>
> Oh lord, for a second there I read that in the exact tones of Ranting
> Rick's posts.
>
> Time to step away from the computer, I think.

Haha, that was the kind of thing I was parodying :)

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 1:54 AM David Mertz <me...@gnosis.cx> wrote:

> Hmmm... I disagree with Chris.
>
> I'm definitely -1 on a magic dangling 'foo=' after variable names. And
> something less than -1 on the even more magic "Lisp symbol that isn't a
> symbol" ':foo'.
>
> Those are just ugly and mysterious.
>
> However, I don't HATE the "mode switch" use of '*' or '**' in function calls.
> I've certainly written plenty of code where I use the same variable name in
> the calling scope as I bind in the call. Moreover, function *definitions*
> have an an analogous mode switch with an isolated '*'.

It sounds to me like there's a lot of weak support or weak opposition,
with some of it spread between the proposal itself and the individual
spellings.

Rodrigo, it may be time to start thinking about writing a PEP. If the
Steering Council approves, I would be willing to be a (non-core-dev)
sponsor; alternatively, there may be others who'd be willing to
sponsor it. A PEP will gather all the different syntax options and the
arguments for/against each, and will mean we're not going round and
round on the same discussion points all the times.

ChrisA