> I think that the issue of searchability and signature are pretty
> compelling reasons for such a simple feature to be part of the
> function name.

I would absolutely agree with that if all three function were in the same
namespace (like the string methods referred to earlier), but in this case,
one is a built in and the others will not be — which makes a huge
difference in discoverability.

Imagine someone that uses zip() in code that works for a while, and then
discovers a bug triggered by unequal length inputs.

If it’s a flag, they look at the zip docstring, and find the flag, and
their problem is solved.

Is it’s in itertools, they have to think to look there. Granted, some
googling will probably lead them there, and the zip() docstring can point
them there, but it’s still a heavier lift.

-CHB

> Steve
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/YJ3PBENBNHXPQIEJVRTTXGQHHTSDY67B/