On 2020-05-01 3:41 p.m., Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 4:38 AM Soni L. <fakedme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2020-05-01 3:10 p.m., Brandt Bucher wrote:
> > I have pushed a first draft of PEP 618:
> >
> > https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0618
> >
> > Please let me know what you think – I'd love to hear any *new* feedback
that hasn't yet been addressed in the PEP!

> What about using an optional kwarg for a handler for mismatched lengths?
> I made a post about it on the other thread and it's not addressed in the
> PEP. It'd make zip capable of doing zip_shortest, zip_equal (aka
> zip(strict=True)) and zip_longest, it's not stringly-typed, and it's
> user-extensible. Something along the lines of zip(foo, bar, baz,
> and_then=lambda consumed_items, iters: ...).

YAGNI.

examples:

# iterates in chunks, e.g. a very large file that wouldn't fit all in RAM
zip(*[iter(x)]*32, and_then=lambda res, _: (yield res))

# strict zip
sentinel = object()
def zip_eq(res, iters):
  if res or any(next(x, sentinel) is not sentinel for x in iters):
    raise ValueError
zip(a, b, c, and_then=zip_eq)
# this would ideally be zip.strict e.g. zip(a, b, c, and_then=zip.strict), but w/e.

# normal (shortest) zip but using an explicit function
def no_op(*args, **kwargs):
  pass
zip(a, b, c, and_then=no_op)

ChrisA