On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 02:58:01AM +0100, Henk-Jaap Wagenaar wrote:

> I don't think that is accurate to represent as a representation of "a
> mathematician". The top voted answer here disagrees:
> https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/122595/whats-the-difference-between-tuples-and-sequences
>
> "A sequence requires each element to be of the same type.
> A tuple can have elements with different types."

Are you saying that you can't have a sequence that alternates between
ints and rationals, say, or ints and surds (reals)?

The sequence A_n = sqrt(n) from n=0 starts off int, int, real, ... so
there is that.

For what its worth, Wolfram Mathworld disagrees with both Greg's comment
and the stackexchange answer, stating that a tuple is just a synonym for
a list, and that both lists and sequences are ordered sets:

https://mathworld.wolfram.com/n-Tuple.html

https://mathworld.wolfram.com/List.html

https://mathworld.wolfram.com/Sequence.html

> The common usage for both is: you have a tuple of (Z, +) representing the
> Abelian group of addition (+) on the integers (Z), whereas you have the
> sequence {1/n}_{n \in N} converging to 0 in the space Q^N (rational
> infinite sequences) for example.

One can come up with many other usages. I think a far more common use
for tuples are the ordered pairs used for coordinates:

    (1, 2)

So although tuples are ordered sets, and sequences are ordered sets, the
way they are used is very different. One would not call the coordinate
(1, 2) a sequence 1 followed by 2, and one would not normally consider a
sequence such as [0, 2, 4, 6, 8, ...] to be a tuple.

In normal use, a tuple is considered to be an atomic[1] object (e.g. a
point in space), while a sequence is, in a sense, a kind of iterative
process that has been reified.

> I'd say the difference is just one of semantics

The difference between any two things is always one of semantics.

> and as a mathematician I
> would consider tuples and sequences as "isomorphic", in fact, the
> set-theoretical construction of tuples as functions is *identical* to the
> usual definition of sequences: i.e. they are just two interpretations of
> the the same object depending on your point of view.

Many things are isomorphic. "Prime numbers greater than a googolplex"
are isomorphic to the partial sums of the sequence

    1/2 − 1/4 + 1/8 − 1/16 + ⋯  = 1/3

but that doesn't mean you could use 1/2 * 1/4 as your RSA public key :-)

[1] I used that term intentionally, since we know that if you hit an
atom hard enough, it ceases to be indivisible and can split apart :-)

--
Steven