On Sun, May 24, 2020, 5:11 PM Alex Hall

> But when you *read* a call to filter(), it's generally pretty obvious
> which argument is which, even if you don't remember the signature. You just
> need to see which one's callable or which one's iterable (few things are
> both). You can probably guess just from the variable names. If you read `f@g`,
> you can only guess if one of `f(g(x))` or `g(f(x))` is nonsense, which I
> think is typically less obvious.

I definitely agree. My way of remembering which way filter goes was to try
the wrong one in a shell and get an exception.

In contrast, quite likely both f(g(h(x))) and h(g(f(x))) produce a value,
but only one is the one I want. If x is  string, or a list, or a number, or
a NumPy array, most functions I'd call return something of the same type.
Mutations are usually not order independent.