Your minor change is certainly an improvement.  _The Elements of Style_ (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Style) is certainly a good
text, but it's not even actually a style guide in the formal sense.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 5:26 PM Keara Berlin <kearaber...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all, this is a very small change, but I thought I would field it here
> to see if anyone has suggestions or ideas. Instead of requiring that
> comments be written in Strunk & White Standard English, PEP-8 should
> require instead that English-language comments be clear and easily
> understandable by other English speakers. This accomplishes the same goal
> without alienating or putting up barriers for people (especially people of
> color) whose native dialect of English is not Standard English. This change
> is a simple way to correct that while maintaining the original intent of
> the requirement. This change may even make the requirement more clear to
> people who are not familiar with Strunk & White, since for programmers, the
> main relevant aspect of that standard is "be clear and concise;" simply
> saying that instead of referencing Strunk & White may communicate this more
> effectively.
> Here is the current line in PEP-8: "When writing English, follow Strunk
> and White."
> I propose changing this line to "When writing English, ensure that your
> comments are clear and easily understandable to other English speakers."
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/AE2M7KOIQR37K3XSQW7FSV5KO4LMYHWX/

The dead increasingly dominate and strangle both the living and the
not-yet born.  Vampiric capital and undead corporate persons abuse
the lives and control the thoughts of homo faber. Ideas, once born,
become abortifacients against new conceptions.