On Fri, Jul 03, 2020 at 09:24:47PM -0300, Soni L. wrote:

> how do you plan to clamp a numpy array or a string?

I'm not saying it is meaningful, but it certainly works to clamp
strings:

    py> s = "hello"
    py> min(max(s, "a"), "z")
    'hello'

Likewise other indexable types can be compared with min and max:

    py> min(['a', 1], ['b', 2])
    ['a', 1]

The traditional meaning of slice notation is to take a slice of a
sequence, i.e. to extract a sub-sequence. I don't see the conceptual
connection between "take a sub-sequence" and "clamp to within some
bounds", and if I saw something like this:

    (45)[2:18]

I would interpret it as some form of bit-masking, i.e. extracting bits 2
to 18 in some form or another. I'd certainly never guess in a million
years that it was a clamping operation.

--
Steven