On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 3:17 AM Rhodri James <rho...@kynesim.co.uk> wrote:

> Ironically that example pushes me back to -1.  It may look a lot like
> xarray and pandas working, but that just means it should be in xarray
> and/or pandas.

after following most of this discussion, I'm still not sure what we'd get
with keywords in indexing.

But I do think it would be nice of we could use slice syntax in other
places. That would allow things like xarray and pandas to use slices in
regular function calls. here's an example from the xarray docs:

 da.isel(space=0, time=slice(None, 2))

wouldn't that be nice as:

da.isel(space=0, time=:2)

or:

da.sel(time=slice("2000-01-01", "2000-01-02"))

could be:

da.sel(time="2000-01-01":"2000-01-02")

As far as I can tell, slicing syntax is currently a syntax error in these
cases, and any others I thought to test.

Is there a reason to not allow syntax for creating a slice object to be
used anywhere (Or more places, anyway)?

By the way, I just noticed this note in the xarray docs:

"""Note: We would love to be able to do indexing with labeled dimension
names inside brackets, but unfortunately, Python does yet not support
indexing with keyword arguments like da[space=0]
"""
So they would like it :-)

-CHB

--