I haven't agreed to anything. Though last time I thought about this I was
in favor of Steven D'Aprano's idea of translating `x[1, 2, p=3, q=4]` into
`x.__getitem__((1, 2), p=3, q=4)`. What the dict class's `__getitem__`
would do with that is a different issue -- probably it would be an error.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 10:32 AM Todd <toddr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2020, 13:11 Jonathan Fine <jfine2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> SUMMARY:
>> Some news. I've just published https://pypi.org/project/kwkey/0.0.1/.
>>
>> This package is about PEP 472 -- Support for indexing with keyword
>> arguments
>> See: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0472/
>>
>> As a result, I think we're now in a good position to try this idea out,
>> using present day Python. This includes building some clients that can use
>> the new feature, should it become available. It also includes exploring the
>> design of the API.
>>
>> The crucial idea is writing
>>     >>> from kwkeys import o
>>     >>> d[o(1, 2, a=3, b=4)]
>> as a stopgap, until
>>     >>> d[1, 2, a=3, b=4]
>> is available.
>>
>> If you're interested, please do try it out.
>>
>> IN MORE DETAIL:
>>
>> On 3 May 2020, Andras Tontas reopened discussion of the PEP. This PEP was
>> created in June 2014, and closed in March 2019, due to lack of interest.
>> See: https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2019-March/156693.html
>>
>> This time round, things went better. On 16 July, Guido wrote (substitute
>> PEP for PRP)
>>
>> I think it’s a reasonable idea and encourage you to start working on a
>>> design for the API and then a PRP. It would help if someone looked into a
>>> prototype implementation as well (once a design has been settled on).
>>
>> See:
>> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/7MHQYEOGFF764ZSME76UCMAFGPB2PR22/
>>
>> Later on 16 July, I wrote
>>
>>> I'll now state some goals.
>>>

>>> 1. Define 'o' and Protocol so that NOW gives the semantics you wish for.
>>> 2. Extend Python so that FUTURE give the semantics you wish for.
>>> 3. And the NOW syntax continues to work as expected (without changing
>>> 'o' and Protocol).
>>> 4. And all current use of container[key] continues to work as before.
>>>

>>> I believe that it is possible to achieve these goals. My previous posts
>>> to this discussion outline some of the key ideas. My next step, when I have
>>> time, is to implement and publish general purpose code for the NOW part of
>>> this list of goals.
>>
>> See:
>> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/3IWL42XYUVODDVTPXF7EKXF6NE4JCRTV/
>>
>> On 18 July I wrote that by the end of July I would implement and publish
>> general purpose code for the NOW part of these goals
>> See:
>> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/YW3JXKKSNIFII7PDNTYEOKUR3FIAFINW/
>>
>> Earlier today, 3 days overdue, I fulfilled my commitment. I hope it helps
>> some of you, and does no harm to others.
>> --
>> Jonathan
>>

> Do we have an agreement on the API as Guido requested?  From my
> understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, you are still talking
> about implementing this using a new class.  However, most people who
> support the use of labelled indexing.and expressed an opinion support a
> keyword argument-based approach.
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/VCFLB4RPZ2HERAXKCRAJYITKQTWUOIYO/

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>