On 29/08/20 4:50 pm, Ricky Teachey wrote:
(however [Greg Ewing was] talking about 3 dunders-- still hoping he and others might come around to the idea of just one)

Whereas I'm hoping that you might come around to the idea of
three, :-)

Your version is simpler in the sense that it uses fewer new
dunders. However, it comes at the cost of more complexity, both
conceptually and implementation-wise, and requires constructing
new objects on every indexing operation, which is a fairly
expensive thing to do.

My version is based on a vision of what the indexing dunders might
have been like if we'd had positional and keyword indexing from
the beginning. If Python 4000 ever happens, the old dunders could
be cleanly removed, just leaving the new ones. There's no such
upgrade path for your version.

--
Greg