On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 7:56 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 05:59:29AM -0400, André Roberge wrote:
>
> > As a goal of making it even more obvious what the (new) idiom mans, I
> would
> > suggest a variable named __imported__ with the opposite value to what is
> > proposed.
>
> What if you import the `__main__` module? What does `__imported__` say
> now, and how do you check for "running as a script" if `__main__` has
> imported itself -- or some other module has imported it?

Running a module (no matter what its name is) from a command line would set
__imported__ to False for that module.
Using import some_module (or __import__("some_module")) would set
some_module.__imported__ to True.

> Is this `__imported__` variable *instead of* or *as well as* the
> proposed `__main__`?
>
> Sorry, I should have been clearer: __imported__ was made as an alternative
suggestion to __main__: I completely agree that it would be silly to have
both.

For beginners, I believe that it would be easier to understand what it
means, which is the reason I had used something very similar in a project
that has been shelved for the foreseeable future,
https://aroberge.github.io/avantpy/docs/html/notimported.html

André