> you talked about builtin *iterables*

My mistake, I reused the terminology used by the original author to make it
easier to follow.

> The point of iterators like map, zip and filter is to *avoid* performing the
> computation until it is required.

Of course. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I don't know why we're bringing up
these operators in a discussion about comprehensions. And what would a "range"
comprehension even look like? To me the fact that there's no comprehensions for
enumerate, filter, map, range, reversed and zip doesn't contribute to making
dict, list and set exceptional cases.

As I said we're left with bytearray, frozenset and memoryview. These are much
less frequently used and don't even have a literal form so expecting
comprehensions for them would be a bit nonsensical. On the other hand strings,
bytes, lists, dicts and sets all have literal forms but only lists, dicts and
sets have comprehensions. Three out of five doesn't make them exceptional cases
so it's only logical to at least consider the idea of adding comprehensions for
strings (and bytes) too.