On 2021-09-04 05:47, Matsuoka Takuo wrote:
On Sat, 4 Sept 2021 at 16:33, Brendan Barnwell <brenb...@brenbarn.net> wrote:

        In other words, currently `*` can turn what looks like one function
call with one thing inside it into one function call with several things
inside it.  You are proposing to make it so `*` can turn one indexing
operation with one thing inside it into several indexing operations each
with one thing inside it.  I think that is quite different.

I'm not strongly against your conclusion, but I think the two use of
`*` are analogous in fact. Consider for instance,

```
from functools import partial

curry = partial(partial, partial)
F = curry(curry(f))
```

Now F has the same amount of information as f does in the sense that
e.g., `f(1,2,3)` is equivalent to `F(1)(2)(3)`. I suspect the
proposer's idea comes from an analogy to this.

But where is the *-unpacking there? You just showed a function-call equivalent of the multi-getter function that I suggested. I agree that's useful in that if you want to convert multiple arguments into multiple function calls you can make a new function that does that, but that's not what *-unpacking does.

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail."