On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 4:36 PM Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au> wrote:

> On 15Sep2021 07:50, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 7:43 AM Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au> wrote:
> >> I know I'm atypical, but I have quite a lot of multithreaded stuff,
> >> including command line code. So while it'd be ok to avoid this context
> >> manager for my own code, I fear library modules, either stdlib or pypi,
> >> quietly using this in their code, making them unuseable in the general
> >> case. Unrepairably unuseable, for the user.
> >
> >Library code shouldn't be changing the working directory, context
> >manager or not. That belongs to the application.
>
> Entirely agree.
>
> I'm concerned that convenient stackable chdir is a bug magnet, and would
> creep into library code. Maybe not in the stdlib, but there's no point
> writing such a context manager if it isn't goingg to be used, and
> therefore it could get used in library code. Imagine when a popular pypi
> module starts using it internally and breaks a multithreaded app
> previously relying on it?

I know where I'd file a bug. :-)

"Bug magnet" is an extremely subjective pejorative term. When the *better*
way to do things (os.workdir()) is harder than the *easy* way to do
(os.chdir()), which is the real bug magnet?

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*