On 2021-12-02 15:40, Chris Angelico wrote:
Actually, no. I want to put the default arguments into the signature,
and the body in the body. The distinction currently has a technical
restriction that means that, in certain circumstances, what belongs in
the signature has to be hacked into the body. I'm trying to make it so
that those can be put where they belong.

Chris, I know this is probably not your intention, but I feel the discussion is continually muddle by you just saying "default arguments" as if everyone agrees on what those are and the issue is just where to put them. But clearly that is not the case. You seem to take it for granted that "len(x) evaluated when the function is called" "is" a "default argument" in the same sense that an early-bound default like the number 3 is. I do not agree, and it's pretty clear David Mertz does not agree, and I think there are others here who also do not agree.

It's not as is there is some pre-existing notion of "default argument" in Python and you are just proposing to add an implementation of it that was left out due to some kind of oversight. Your proposal is CHANGING the idea of what a default argument is. I get that it's natural to refer to your new proposal as "default arguments" but I've now seen a number of messages here where you say "but no we should do X because this is a default argument", taking for granted that what you're talking about is already agreed to be a default argument. (No doubt I and many others are also guilty of similar missteps by saying "default argument" as a shorthand for something or other, and I'll try to be careful about it myself.)

By my definition as of now, a default argument has to be an object. Thus what your proposal envisions are not default arguments. You can't just say "I want to do this with default arguments". You need to provide an argument for why we should even consider these to be default arguments at all.

Perhaps a way of stating this without reference to arguments is this: you want to put code in the function signature but not have it executed until the function is called. I do not agree with that choice. The function signature and the function body are different syntactic environments with different semantics. Everything in the function signature should be executed when the function is defined (although of course that execution can result in an object which contains deferred behavior itself, like if we pass a function as an argument to another). Only the function body should be executed when the function is called. If we want to provide some way to augment the function body to assign values to missing arguments, I wouldn't rule that out completely, but in my view the function signature is not an available space for that. The function signature is ONLY for things that happen when the function is defined. It is too confusing to have the function signature mix definition-time and call-time behavior.

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail."