On Sat, 2021-12-11 at 17:02 -0800, Christopher Barker wrote:

> It [Annotated] has a number of possible unspecified uses, but
> fundamentally, it's about the adding information to the type, not to
> the attribute -- e.g. not really intended for docstrings.

Ah, good point. I've conflated the two because dataclass attributes are
used to define the schema of the dataclass. For general purpose
attribute docstrings (module, class), I agree Annotated is probably
inappropriate.

> Perhaps a better way to do that than to use Annotated would be to
> introduce new "thing", maybe in teh typoing module, like
> "Documented":

I think this will suffer from the same problem as Annotated: it would
document the type, not the attribute itself.

> Anyway, what I'm getting at is that it needs to be determined whare
> to put the docstrings before we can get very far with this idea.

How is Sphinx is pulling the string below the attribute? Whatever
mechanism is to be used, I propose it must allow for runtime
introspection.