On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 at 23:44, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not ALL typing changes are just new things in typing.py, so that
> doesn't cover everything. And yes, I am sure that a lot of things get
> proposed and not implemented - my point is that typing-sig is
> successfully finding the good ideas and refining them into actual
> code, but python-ideas is 100% shooting ideas to pieces.

Bikeshed problem. I barely understand most of the proposals on
typing-sig, whereas *everyone* knows what "for..in..if" means (and
hence has an opinion).

Add to that the fact that the framing of many proposals on
python-ideas feels like "here's a neat idea, why doesn't someone (not
me) implement it", whereas proposals on typing-sig generally seem to
involve an interested party doing a *lot* of work up front, and then
summarising that in a proposal, and it's not hard to see why
python-ideas is both more accessible for people proposing incompletely
thought through ideas, and more hostile towards them...

To put it another way, if the culture on python-ideas expected people
to do as much up-front work on a proposal as typing-sig seems to (from
my experience, at least), there would be far fewer ideas on here, but
they would be a lot better, and would be much more likely to be
successful.

Paul