On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 at 14:25, Ricky Teachey <ri...@teachey.org> wrote:

> units are at THE CORE of that need.
>
> i think python should be the language we reach for. i have made python work
> for me as a civil engineer and been extremely successful with it for all the
> usual reasons: ease of learning and community backing that learning, the open
> source resources (libraries and applications), the momentum of the language,
> its ability to be a swiss army knife (need to transition to web? automate the
> boring thing? sure, easy).

I've been reading this discussion with gradually increasing levels of
bemusement. I genuinely had no idea that handling units was so
complex. But one thing I did note was that there are various libraries
(at least one, I think I saw more than one mentioned) that do units
handling. Why are those libraries insufficient? You said that "The
motivation is much more than just being able to not have the *
symbol", but no-one seems to have explained why a library isn't
enough. After all, scientists manage with numpy being a library and
not a core feature. Data scientists manage with tensorflow being a
library. What's not sufficient for unit support to be a library? (And
remember, the numeric users successfully got the @ operator added to
the language by arguing from the basis of it being a sufficient
enhancement to improve the experience of using numpy, after years of
having requests for general "matrix operations" rejected - language
changes are *more likely* based on a thriving community of library
users, so starting with a library is a positive way of arguing for
core changes).

Paul