On 4/10/22 14:09, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 at 06:48, Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us> wrote:

On 4/10/22 10:17, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 at 02:59, Christopher Barker wrote:

But if I did that, then one lib registering my units with the global repository
might break some other lib's use of the global repository.

Then... libraries should not register units unless it's at the behest
of the application? That's exactly what I've been saying.

If the library cannot register its version of units, how can it use units
internally?

Probably the same way that it's always been possible - with clunkier
syntax and explicit multiplications. I'm not sure.

So mostly with none of the benefits of the new systax.

Do you actually
have a use-case where a library needs to do unit-aware arithmetic
independently of the application,

At this point I am not a unit user, but it seems that several who are would like finer grained control, and you are arguing that global is fine; they offer json as an example where the application imposing global settings on their activities would really mess them up, and you don't seem to be hearing/acknowledging that.

--
~Ethan~