> I'm not sure there's enough need for this that it should be in the
> stdlib. And I'm certain it isn't sufficiently common to justify being
> a builtin.
How 'enough need' can be measured? The other way to solve this problem is to
have null-conditional access operators ?. and ?[] like in C# (i.e. a.b.c can be
written to a?.b?.c to be prone to None values). I don't think that
null-conditional operators are Pythonic, but I guess if an other language has a
complete set of operators around a problem, it could be something that interest
lots of people.