On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 02:41:03PM +0100, Christoph Holtermann wrote:
> Hello all !
>
> I have a basic question about data representation in LDAP.
> I know just this list, maybe you can point me to the right one.
> I use LDAP for storing my contacts. I keep thinking about the
> simple case of people having multiple email. One case
> would be to have an attribute "mail" another one "mozillaSecond
> Email". On the other hand I know that it
> is possible to store multiple values in the corresponding LDAP-
> attribute. but i wonder how it could be possible to also store
> an additional information about these email. For example
> Hans Wurst has
> a...@b.c "work",
> b...@b.c "outdated since 2000"...
> I guess that this is not possible or needs complex modifications.
> Does anybody know something helpful about this ?

You probably want a general LDAP or openldap mailing list for this but...
I'm not subscribed to one either :-).

First take a peek at this from the openldap-software list

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200203/msg00646.html

If you're caring from an MTA perspective...
Postfix's LDAP maps suggest a 'maildrop' attribute for calculating actual
delivery.

And now a suggestion so you can spend an afternoon seeing what it
breaks...
Well, atleast in my LDAP schemas the mail attribute has syntax
1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15

And looking at 6.10 of RFC2252
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2252

You can put any unicode string there you want to such
as
Christoph Holtermann Obsolete  <c.holterm...@foo.bar>

--
Chris Dukes
"In cynicism she's about 35" -- Terry Pratchett's "Hog Father"