"Nick Coghlan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stelios Xanthakis wrote:
It appears that there are the 'module people' who
find this feature irrelevant. Indeed. If we are interested
in distributing modules and increasing the number of
people who use python programs,then  __source__ is redundant.
OTOH, programming python is easy and fun and I think
the proposed feature will make it even more fun and it
aims in increasing the number of people who program
python for their every day tasks. It'd be interesting to
hear if the developers of IDLE/ipython/etc could use this.

I don't see enough here to make a very intelligent comment, so I'll risk it and make what might be a rather uninformed comment.

Are you trying to create a Smalltalkish environment where
you can simply edit anything on the fly, and then it's
immediately effective? While I don't know Smalltalk,
the ones I do know indicate that they liked that environment
very much.

However, this might have real problems with the dangling
references issue. Or maybe not: there may be ways of
redesigning the function object so that you can replace
the embedded code object on the fly.

John Roth

--
Nick Coghlan | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Brisbane, Australia