Alex Martelli wrote:
Steven Bethard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

py> class C(object): ... def __init__(self): ... self.plural = lambda n: int(n != 1) ... py> c = C() py> c.__class__.plural(1) Traceback (most recent call last): File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ? AttributeError: type object 'C' has no attribute 'plural' py> c.plural(1) 0

This shows that staticmethod has slightly wider applicability, yes, but
I don't see this as a problem.  IOW, I see no real use cases where it's
important that hasattr(C, 'plural') is false while hasattr(C(),
'plural') is true [I could of course be missing something!].

True, true. I guess I was just wrapped up in reproducing the class behavior. Making it available as a staticmethod of the class would of course only add functionality, not remove any.

Steve