worzel wrote:
What is the best way to web developemnt with Python? Is there
anything close to PHP style in-page script placement that can create
and use other Python objects? I am not really interested in Zope (I
believe that is more a CMS than anything else?) I am also looking for
something a little more structured than a series of CGI Scripts.

While on the topic - what is the expectataion of Python for this kind
of stuff? Would one use Python for certain other things but turn to
PHP for web apps - or would one use their Python skills in place of
PHP?

TIA

You may want to look here for some thoughts on the matter: http://pyre.third-bit.com/pyweb/index.html

I lean towards Quixote and/or CherryPy, with ZODB as the storage. Both
are conceptually similar (I'm comparing v2 of both), but I favor Quixote
just slightly more, mostly for Quixote's better form handling. Cheetah is a very nice templating package, but in Quixote I just use its own PTL, since it's built-in.

If you wanted to stick with PHP for some reason, Drupal is a very nicely
designed framework (or CivicSpace, which is developed in parallel with Drupal, with a number of added-on features).

Quixote: http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/
CherryPy: http://www.cherrypy.org/
ZODB: http://zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/FrontPage
Cheetah: http://www.cheetahtemplate.org/