"John Savage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I have a free web mail address and would like to use python to retrieve
> files that have been emailed to me. The basic code would accommodate
> cookies, a login name and password, then download using the full URL I
> can provide. From postings here I thought mechanize held promise, but
> I've found it to contain filenames that are invalid for MSDOS (too many
> characters, and/or too many dots in the name, etc.) so I have little hope
> that the mechanize module can be used.
>
> I'm running python2.4.2 on plain MSDOS (not windows), so would appreciate
> a pointer to sample code that can do the job. I know that curl has this
> capability, but I'll learn something by tinkering with python code.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> John Savage                   (my news address is not valid for email)

Instead of mimicking a browser to access this e-mail account through the web
interface, see if there is a POP3 access to your free e-mail (I'd be
surprised if there isn't).  POP3 programming (using the supplied poplib
module) is *very* simple in Python, handles login name and pwd, no
cookie-ing required.  The Python docs include this example:
http://docs.python.org/lib/pop3-example.html

-- Paul