Sorry for not answering such a long time. It's because my question
originated from a discussion within our company which moved out of focus
shortly after I posted, and over waiting for some response from them
before replying here, I forgot about it.

Steve Holden wrote:

>> - f might catch E exceptions from the implementation and raise some
>> other error in their stead, maybe with an appropriate message or
>> treating the traceback in some helpful way. This destroys the original
>> exception.
>>
> My "solution", of course, takes this approach.

Good to see that my "gut feeling" as to the most pythonic approach seems
to coincide with the answers I've received ;o)

--
Thomas